Goals and Ambitions

Innovative Network

Vodafone is working hard to make its GigaNet suitable for 5G. The core of the mobile network (the core network) will then be 100 percent ready for 5G. The company is actively upgrading its antenna park, in a staggered process, by installing 5G equipment and expanding the required capacity, in collaboration with our network partner Ericsson.

Vodafone wants to introduce 5G to its customers as soon as possible, but is not yet able to make any concrete statements regarding the timing of the launch at this stage. In addition to the aforementioned preparations in the network, other factors also play a role. In the course of this year, the 700, 1400 and 2100 megahertz frequency bands will be auctioned and from 2022 only the 3.5 gigahertz frequencies will be used. The latter is related to the announced relocation of the satellite monitoring station in Burum, Friesland, which uses these 3.5 gigahertz frequencies.  

Sustainable Business Practices

In 2020, we want to collect at least 80% of old routers, modems, WiFi boosters and media boxes to be prepared for reuse. We’re unable to upgrade the remaining 20% of the devices and want to have them recycled, so that ultimately all old devices will have an environmentally friendly destination.

Our objective is to reduce the energy consumption of our company by 2% every year. Also in 2020, 100% of the electricity consists of green (wind) energy.